Free Legal Assistance for Seniors in a Variety of Matters and Civil Cases
The services of the Alabama Legal Assistance Program are available through UWAAA at no charge to persons age 60 and older. The process begins with your call to 1-800-AGE-LINE (1-800-243-5463). You’ll be connected to a legal services specialist who will work with you one-on-one to gather information about your specific issue and determine the appropriate next steps. The specialist will provide counseling, advice and representation in civil, non-fee-generating cases such as (but not limited to) those listed below.
- Access to public benefits such as SS/SSI/SSDI, Medicare, Medicare, veterans’ benefits and unemployment compensation
- Protections related to elder abuse, including fraud and financial exploitation
- Advance directives for financial affairs, medical and end-of-life decision-making, as well as simple wills and issues related to guardianship
- Access to housing options that allow seniors to remain independent in their homes
- Eviction or foreclosure issues that impede seniors’ ability to remain in their homes
- Access to healthcare and long-term care
For more information on the Alabama Legal Services Program, call 1-800-AGE-LINE (1-800-243-5463).